Monday, February 19, 2018

#MeToo, #TimesUp and the film industry

The media coverage of the Harvey Weinstein accusations and the #metoo Twitter campaign have been lauded as a sea change within the film industry. This has to be set against a new post-Yewtree culture where there is more tolerance and understanding towards the victims of sexual crime who feel that they can now come forward, challenge their abusers and be believed. I wish it were so but I wonder how many other abusers are living in plain sight and allowed to continue their sex crimes?
There is also a new impetus for gender equality between men and women, the recent UK government committee hearings about pay inequality at the BBC are proof that the voices of women are being received more favourably. But again, I wonder how much the response is really going to tackle the problem?
Last night I watched most of the BAFTA awards ceremonies. I found it striking how many of the gong winners were men and not particularly young men at that. I'm not talking about the gongs for actors and actresses, in their own gender category they can hardly be equal. I'm talking about the other types of award, how few women went up on stage - asides from those who were brought out to read out the nominees.
I am sceptical of the ability of the film and fashion industries (and UK politics for that matter) to reform themselves. The views of the women choosing to support each other and the sentiment as a whole must be applauded. I just don't think this can be a quick change - the whole world has to make changes and be willing to do that. I fear there are too many old men in positions of power and influence to let that happen.

No comments: